Monday, April 7, 2008

Podcasting

I enjoyed this unit. Again I found a vast variety of podcasts, by using podcasting directories. Some were easy to use, like the British Museum link, click and you're there. Others required downloading of software, which took longer, leastways I didn't need another log in and password.
From the Library Success wiki, I followed what public libraries in the US had on offer. I was impressed by Kankakee Public library who provided a list of Podcasts and Vodcasts. Yes, they are now being RSS feed to Bloglines. The last entry was added on 17/3/2008, one the staff recorded while actually doing another interview. This is where I could see a use for libraries in the recording of oral histories-- also it was great to see their lists of pods growing, compared to another public library, that only listed 1 from 2007. Which reinterates, what library bloggers have been saying that Web2 is only as good as what is being added to, kept up to date, and put out there for users. Check out Kankakee Library homepage.
I like the flexibility and portability of podcasts-- I could see their use for recording of guest speakers at library events, recording oral histories, recording traditional languages before they disappear, adding spoken book reviews to homepages. You never had to miss anything again! and you don't need a ipod.
Great session. Enjoyable, educational, and rewarding as I have more RSS feeds

No comments: