Thursday, April 3, 2008

Slam the boards

Have just done the short session on answer boards. I admire anyone who feels confident enough to add to these pages. I would want to be 100% sure that any information I put out there was correct, especially in relation to reference queries. There is always going to be someone who would argue with the information, question it and want the source of the original knowledge. What I have enjoyed is checking out resources that other people have cited and used, especially those web sites that I have not come across before. So in this way, it has been beneficial to me, and will enhance my reference skills. The contribution made by librarians to Answer Board Librarians is fantastic. I like the signature tag "we eat questions for breakfast'. Following this link, took me to American Public Libraries website, where I checked out a Californian library homepage, and found shortcuts to their Blog, E-books and Podcasts pages. It seems that they are definitely into Web2! (Didn't even bother checking the "traditional" catalogue-- does this indicate a attitude shift?)
Within public libraries, unless there is a dedicated Web2 team, when and where do staff find the time to create, edit, monitor, update, etc any web related work, such as message boards, blogs, etc. (even doing this course, involves doing it at home, and in my own time). It seems to me that Web2 is all about sharing, but I think that person to person live (web3?) is still the best

No comments: